Saturday 21 May 2011

Facebook Deleting Avatar Profiles........



Being in a different timezone to most of S/L I’m used to finding out news that has already happened.
Today I woke and like many, checked facebook.
I have 3 accounts, real me, work/client me, and Lacewing. I have one S/L friend that is on two accounts and it was reading her feed that alerted me.
I don’t use Lacewing much as most of my S/L friends don’t have avatar accounts on Facebook. I logged in as Lacewing and read more....
It was starting to appear on blog feeds by then.
Now, this tale does have an incongruous core. For some time there has been a message on the S/L log-in loading bar encouraging us to set up a Facebook profile for our avatars, there have also been mumblings  in various places about growing closeness of Linden and Facebook – I’m left wondering what’s going on?
There have been loads of Facebook scare stories, usually about threats of charging – they come round regularly like cloudy days. They also play pretty fast and loose with account set-up (one minute stuff is private, next minute you need to re-set things that weren’t there before) – it is a deeply flawed entity but millions of us make the necessary compromises and use it.
I don’t think it’s a scare – reason? Someone I trust says she has seen profiles go – so I believe her.
So what next? Check out your profile. If it’s there, download a copy of anything you consider valuable (pictures etc)....and watch and wait.
What choice is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment