Sunday 30 January 2011

Building..

Our Castle has a Skybox. 
Given the prims involved with the tree-castle itself (600+) we really should be on a bigger plot so prims are tight and I am constantly on the lookout for ways to save them. 
The original skybox is a 3-prim one based on a hollowed-out, maxed-out cube but barely gives room to swing a pixel-cat, let alone get a camera in to see yourself do it without a lot of juggling.
Since making the previous one, I have learned a lot more about using coordinates in building - not just doing it by sight as I was before. 
Time for my 1st experiment with mega-prims. I'm not good with understanding sizes on S/L being primarily a visual person, I knew I wanted it big, much bigger without prim-cost but used the 40, 40 ones and we may well rattle around a bit until we get used to it.
Maybe it's my laptop but they seem to take a while to rez, 1st experiment was on our beach and nothing seemed to be happening. I had to log. I came back to find they had rezzed but in the Castle, or rather in most cases, the Castle was in the mega-prim (there are good reasons to build in sandboxes - NOT dropping huge bricks on your partner being one of them!)
I had been toying with the idea of a pool for some time too and thought i could put one one the roof so did that too. I could have saved prims here by sculpting but wanted to texture faces differently so needed to stick to what I knew how to do.
I played with a bought tile texture to create a new one using it as a border, I love mosaics and found a Roman one that had a central motif that I aligned to form the floor of the pool.
I really must label or otherwise log the textures I use on things! I waste a lot of time hunting for things. 

So far, Skybox and pool, 9 prims.
A few tweaks left to do, I want to check location and need to find some nice pool poses.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment