Saturday 13 November 2010

Busy week...

Real life has taken over this week and the times I have logged on I have often been afk (asleep at keyboard) - frustrating!!

Last Sunday  I was flicking through images on my laptop and came across some carved wood that I thought I would like to see in-world. I decided it was time to look at sculpts. I'm not much good at abstract study but when it is purpose-driven, I learn much better - I had my project in mind and off I went to a sandbox, demo version in hand!

I had done a run-through before with this system but without a "make" buzzing in my head it hadn't sunk in with the same grip. I fiddled around, getting places in my own clumsy way, making LOADS of silly mistakes (a far better teacher than quick success) and eventually had something. By this time it was 4 hours later and I had acquired a helper, well yes he was chatting me up but his advice certainly was helpful.

It is often the case in life that what you set out to achieve in life is not quite the same as the thing you want after you have trod the path to get there and this was a case in point. I produced my sculpted object because I need to see things through, although the purist elegance of the single prim still appealed, I realised then that I would get closer to what I wanted using 2 prims and more basic methods. 

Whereas this would not have satisfied me 4 hours earlier, I was now making a decision based on knowledge and the judgement that comes with it, not just because it was all I knew how to do.

Anyway, this is the 2 prim, non-sculpted version.....
  

I am aware of it's imperfections but the item that yielded the textures is something I use in real life everyday, I prepared the textures myself and as such it brings me pleasure to have in my home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment